Thank you for your interest in the Department of English at UMaine! We have attempted to collect (and answer here) questions that frequently arise about the department and our graduate program. Of course, this list is not all-inclusive and if you do not see your question listed, please contact Stella Santerre, our Administrative Support Supervisor, or Emily Hiesl, our Administrative Specialist.
- How do I reach the main office of the English Department?
- How can I find the office number / email / phone number of a professor in the department?
- How do I become an undergraduate English major?
- Where can I find more information about a minor degree in English?
- Is it possible to combine a BA in English with a BS in Education?
- What graduate-level degrees do you offer?
- Where can I find information on applying to the graduate program in English?
A: Our department’s main office is located in 304 Neville Hall and is open M-F from 8am-4:30pm. The office telephone number is (207) 581-3822. Calling this line will put you in touch with Stella Santerre, assistant to Richard Brucher, Department Chair.
A: Please visit our faculty pages.
A: Please schedule an appointment to meet with your current advisor, and with a member of the English department to discuss your decision (please call 581-3822 for an appointment). Once you have thought carefully about your choice, please fill out the Change in Major, Minor, Concentration form. For more information about the undergraduate program in English, please visit our web page.
A: Please click here for more information.
A: Yes, with very careful planning. Please see your advisor for more details.
A: Please visit our Graduate Program web page.
Q: I need more information on the University of Maine or one of its departments!
A: Do a search of our website at the top of the page.