Neville Hall, Room 401A
Office Hours – Spring 2020
Tuesdays and Thursdays – 8:45-9:15am; 12:15-12:45pm; or by appointment
When not teaching ENG 317, I can be found enjoying the coast of Maine aboard our sailboat, kayaking on quiet lakes and rivers, hiking in Acadia, and playing with my daughter and son. I enjoy working with people and their writing, at whatever stage, from helping thoughts take shape to tinkering with a phrase in a final draft. The magic in watching someone’s ideas come together on the page never grows old for me.
- M. A. in Literature from University of Maine, 1988
- B.A. in Creative Writing from University of Maine, 1986
- Freelance Technical Editor, Sept. 2000-present.
- Writing Center Director, UMaine, Sept. 1993-May 1997; Oct.-Dec. 1998.
- Assistant Director, Writers’ Center, Colby College, Sept. 1989-May 1992.
- Editor, Northwords, Sept 1994-1997.
- Proofreader, Bangor Daily News, Mar. 1993-July 1995.
- Teaching Assistant, UMaine, Sept. 1986-May 1988.
Time at University of Maine: 2 years as Teaching Assistant, 15 years as Instructor. [Minus time off to sail in the Pacific Northwest, work at Colby College, and have children.]
ENG 001: Writing Workshop
ENG 101: College Composition
ENG 129: Topics in English – Writing About Nature
ENG 212: Persuasive and Analytical Writing
ENG 317: Business and Technical Writing
ENG 395: English Internship
- “Color, Re-vision, and Painting a Paper,” Writing Center Journal.
- Assorted articles in Writing Lab Newsletter.
- How to raise two happy, creative children
- Composition theory and practice; technical communication practice.
Current Activities: Teaching my daughter how to write her name and the alphabet while running after my son.
Interests: Sailing, Travel, Writing, Reading, Hiking in Acadia National Park, Riding