Graduate Application Timeline
Timeline for Applications
1. Take the GRE and have your results sent to the UMaine Graduate School
2. Have official undergraduate transcript(s) sent to the UMaine Graduate School
2. Ask three people to write letters of recommendation
3. Revise and polish your writing sample(s) and personal statement
January 15 Your complete dossier must be on file with the Graduate School if you wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship, a Trustee Tuition Scholarship, or other funding for the next academic year.
- Completed application form (including personal statement) and fee
- Official GRE General Test Scores
- Undergraduate transcript(s)
- Three letters of recommendation
- For all applicants, a 10-20 page sample of analytical scholarship from advanced coursework in your major (typically this would be a senior seminar, capstone, or internship project)
- Applicants intending to pursue the creative writing concentration should also include a 10-20 page sample of poetry, fiction or creative nonfiction
Once your dossier is complete, the Grad School will notify the English Department. At that time, if you have indicated interest in applying for a teaching assistantship, you will be sent the prompt for an exercise that asks you to compare a small set of instructor comments on a student essay. Please return your response to this prompt within two weeks.
Mid February Graduate Studies Committee completes its review of applications and begins to make decisions on admission.
March 1 Last date to file FAFSA to determine eligibility for federal financial aid, including work-study assistantships.
Mid March Graduate Studies completes its review of assistantship applications and begins making offers of funding to admitted students. Notification of wait-list status for applicants not receiving first round offers may begin at this time.
April 15 Deadline to accept first round offer of assistantship. Second-round offers are made if and when spaces become available.
Early May Most assistantships for the following fall will have been assigned, although occasionally spaces open up over the summer.
Summer We periodically review applications and admit qualified applicants during the summer. However, late applicants are unlikely to receive funding.